CURRENT VACANCIES - April 2023
Heatherlea is one of Britain’s leading wildlife tour companies. An employee-owned Company based at The Mountview Hotel in Nethy Bridge, we offer guided wildlife/birdwatching holidays in Scotland and around the world. Heatherlea hold five stars from VisitScotland for our ‘Wildlife Experience’, and operate overseas under our own ATOL Licence.
About 'Employee Ownership' Heatherlea became an Employee-owned Trust in July 2021. The main advantage is that the company is no longer owned by an single private individual, a commitment to the longer term which helps to secure our business, jobs and culture. All assets (including Mountview Hotel, Nethy Bridge) are secured within the Trust, which means we have a more resilient and adaptable business, making us stronger going forward. A second advantage is that employees are even more engaged and committed, because they benefit from a clear, shared purpose. An Employee Owned Trust also has the option to award bonus payments depending on successful performance of the company, and these currently benefit from exemption from income tax.
Due to continued expansion, we now have opportunities for capable, self-motivated individuals to join our small, friendly team. We are fortunate to work in a unique nature/travel environment, organising wildlife experiences which give both staff and clients a great deal of enjoyment. We are highly focused on the delivery of exceptional holidays.
This is an important and rewarding position, which offers interesting and fulfilling daily work, involving a high degree of job satisfaction. The successful applicant will demonstrate meticulous administration skills, attention to detail, accuracy, good literacy and numeracy skills, a confident telephone manner, motivation within a busy office, and a natural ability for flexibility and negotiation. Wide-ranging computer skills are also essential. Previous tour operator experience is preferred, but not essential.
The role is office-based, liaising daily with Heatherlea clients by phone and email, and with hotels, airlines, local ground operators, tour leaders and other suppliers. This is a full time position with opportunities for progression.
A good salary package (plus rewarding Employee Trust annual bonus scheme and pension contribution) is negotiable commensurate with experience.
Hours: Full-time (9am – 5.30pm,)
Holiday: 29 days, initially.
You will be involved in all aspects of holiday organisation and administration, including;
- Dealing with customer bookings and fulfilment, including invoicing, issuing of holiday materials, collecting and processing payments, advising and helping clients with travel plans according to their needs, and post-holiday liaison.
- Liaising with external hotels and guides, ferry companies, ground agents and airlines in the UK and overseas.
- Involvement in web page, social media and literature production.
- Involvement in origination of new holidays both home and overseas. Dealing with ground agents, hotels and guides to construct profit-making products for launch.
Essential Skills, Competencies and Experience
- Minimum of 1 years experience in a similar role. Consideration will also be given to candidates who work in other industries but can clearly demonstrate transferable skills.
- Wide-ranging IT skills, including a proficiency in MS Office.
- Meticulous administration skills.
- Close attention to detail with highly developed literacy and numeracy skills.
- Confident telephone manner.
- An interest in bird watching and wildlife is preferable, though not essential.
Have you got what it takes to be a Heatherlea Guide? We are one of the UK’s leading wildlife holiday providers, organising tours in Scotland and throughout the world. We are now looking for experienced birders and naturalists to join our top Guiding Team.
As well as being an expert birder, the successful applicant(s) will be a natural organiser and communicator. A good sense of humour and positive outlook are essential qualities! As well as organising, managing and leading tours,
We offer a competitive salary, full training, accommodation during working periods, and the expected benefits associated with either freelance or full-time employment. As a Heatherlea Guide, you will travel widely throughout Scotland and in due course might expect to visit iconic destinations around the world. Applicants must have a clean UK Driving Licence and need to be comfortable driving a 9-seater minibus.
To apply for either position, please include a CV and cover letter with your application to [email protected]